Travel Advice From Expert Before Your Travel To Cambodia
Cambodia is a country where the troubles and hardships of life are visible. It hosts several monuments built with splendor and grandeur that attract tourists from all over the world. However, this country is more about the forever smiling and friendly locals. The people here have so very little but are grateful for all that they have. Cambodia makes a tourist appreciate all that they take for granted and change the way one looks at life.
Timezone Of Cambodia – Cambodia lies in the Indochina Time Zone (GMT/UTC plus seven hours)
Is Cambodia Safe? – Cambodia holds a depressing history of killings and often has instances of landmines being uncovered. However, all touristy areas of Cambodia are free from landmines to reassure a tourist on their safety here. Cambodia is a perfectly safe country to visit, however, regular precautions to look after your valuables and belongings must be taken. Cambodian locals are friendly and warm and welcome tourists with open arms.
Best Time To Visit Cambodia
High Season (November to March) – These months offer the best weather of the year in Cambodia. The temperatures are a little warm, however, the weather is cooler and a bit windy. This is the peak and the busiest season with tourists all over the globe rushing to Cambodia. Make sure you pre-book your accommodation.
Shoulder Season (July to August) – These are the monsoon months in Cambodia. This is a great time to travel if you want to enjoy the lush green landscapes of this country.
Electricity – The electricity in Cambodia is 220V and plugs with two flat pins are accommodated here. Make sure you carry a multi-plug power adapter to charge your electronics.
Visa for Cambodia
Visa can be obtained for Cambodia in three different ways.
1. Visa-On-Arrival – Cambodia offers visa-on-arrival for Indian citizens at various entry points to the country such as the International Airports of Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and all numerous country borders.
However, the following documents are required for visa-on-arrival
- Original passport with minimum 6 months validity
- One recent photograph
- Visa fee of 30 USD in cash
- Confirm return flight ticket, is recommended though not mandatory
2. e-Visa – The Cambodia e-visa is the hassle-free way to obtain your visa by applying online for the same. A total cost of USD 30 is charged for the e-visa with USD 7 processing fees.
3. Apply for a visa at the embassy – Cambodian visa can be applied for from the Cambodian Embassy in New Delhi. The visa cost is Rs. 1600 and is issued for a maximum stay of 1 month.
Cambodia Currency – The local currency in Cambodia is Riel. However, tourists use US Dollars on their holidays. All shops, restaurants and public places quote and accept payments in US Dollars. They might return your change in the form of Riel. Using US Dollars saves the tourists from the hassle of exchanging Riel back home which is not the desired currency for most currency stalls.
Most of the luxury hotels in Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville accept cash and credit cards.
The rates for the currency constantly fluctuate. However, the approximate rates are:
1 US Dollar = 4072.42 Cambodian Riel
1 Cambodian Riel = 0.00025 US Dollar
ATM’s are easily accessible all over the country, except for remote and rural areas.
Language Spoken – English is understood and spoken as well in Cambodia. However, the countryside locals may not be fluent in English. Therefore, it is advisable for you to learn a few phrases of the local language.
Khmer is the local language spoken across Cambodia. However, it is always a good idea to carry a dictionary and learn a few words of the local language if in case you require it at any given point of time.
Some common words are:
- Hello – Jum reap sou or Sou sdey
- Thank you – Ah kun
- Sorry – Sohm tou
- Yes – Baht (for men), Cha (for women)
- No – Oht tey
- Goodbye -Jum reap leah or Leah hi
- Where is – Nouw ey na?
- How much is this? – Tah ni thliy pun mann?
- Expensive – Thliy
Popular Places To Visit In Cambodia
- Phnom Penh
- Otres Beach
- Koh Rang Island
The above guide provides all the information one would require before travelling to the lovely country of Cambodia. Have a fun-filled trip!